Our first 100 years
In the late 1870's the Methodist people in extreme Northeast Cobb County determined a need for a local place of worship. In typical Christian fashion land, material, and labor were donated by the founding fathers of Wesley Chapel. Lumber for the original building came from the nearby forest and labor was donated by members and friends of the church.
The original church was constructed in 1879 and in 1890 a small one-room school was constructed adjacent to the church building. On the evening of March 13, 1913 a "cyclone" struck and completely destroyed the church building. Parts of the church were scattered as far away as Cherokee County. The church was rebuilt at a cost of $633.
Over the next several decades the community changed from a rural to a suburban character but Wesley Chapel remained the "little country church". On October 26, 1969 a ground-breaking ceremony was held for the construction of a fellowship hall, educational facilities, and sanctuary.
A morning not forgotten
Tragedy again happened on November 27, 1972 when in the early morning hours when vandals struck both the old sanctuary and new fellowship hall. Either accidentally or intentionally, a fire was set in the church building and completely destroyed it before firemen could bring the fire under control.
Our current facilities
Construction on the current sanctuary began in February, 1975 and a new parsonage was constructed in 1979. Groundbreaking for the Family Life Center was in October, 1989 and it was dedicated in November, 1990. This facility included a gymnasium with a full size basketball court, classrooms, and a large kitchen with plenty of storage area. This allowed the removal of the temporary mobile classrooms. The Family Life Center has served the community and Wesley Chapel in many capacities.
The last project was the construction of a new educational building in 2009. Throughout all our many changes Wesley Chapel has maintained our commitment to Christ through our ongoing loving, caring, and compassionate members.